Monday, September 20, 2010

Adventures In Doughnut Land

Okay. I wrote this piece back on January 10th, 2009. I recently went back to that Dunken Doughnut shop and realized that, unfortunately, this story still applies today as it did then.

Yesterday with the snow flying and my infinite morning laziness I decided to get the kids Dunken Doughnuts for breakfast. So I set out to one of the fifty that seem to surround my house.

Okay, I admit that I was on the phone at the time of placing my order ( rude I know. But it was my dear Mother talking about one of the things she seems to always be talking to me about: The woes of my brother. ).

As I was on said phone, I asked for a dozen long-johns. Easy enough.
Now, I'm quite lazy often on the weekend mornings and have a tendency to going to a Dunken Doughnuts near me ( Thankfully my children are still skinny ), so I know what a dozen long-johns look like in the box. So I said to the teller girl:

"Miss, I asked for a dozen."

"Ye-ah. And that's what I gave you."

"No. You gave me eleven. See" I quickly counted them out too her. 2,4,6,8,10...11."See."

Now up to this point I was nice and courteous. But when she gave me her look of 'And your point is.' Is when I said: "Last time I checked a dozen was twelve."
She stood there for a moment still not convinced that she was in the wrong and it seemed to me that she felt the I was trying to scam an extra doughnut from her. So I then said to her:

"If you don't believe me , why don't you ask somebody what a dozen is." Gesturing to one of her co-workers that were busily filling orders for others.
About this time the guy the came previous too me was still get his life in order started to chuckle at our expanse and I think that by this it actually dawned on her that she was wrong and not I.

So with a sigh of disgust, she turned her rotund body back around and grabbed my last doughnut and placed it with it's others and sisters.

"There. Happy now?"

"Yes. Very. Thank you for finally completing my order."

As I left shaking my head in disbelief, I was left wondering on how many people she screwed by not knowing simple math. Knowing full well that people who usually go to places like this for breakfast are in a hurry and are probably on the phone like I was when ordering.

I'm figuring quite a few. Gotta love that Illinois educational system.

No comments: